Monday, June 16, 2014

Vacation Essentials - Part 1

Good Morning!

**Update: Okay folks. So, after some reflection and some packing of other items, I realized I was a little overzealous in the packing department. Realistically, I knew I would haven't time to do half of what I said I was going to do so I went ahead and consolidated the items that I was going to take. The reasoning for taking the things that I still am is the same; however, I have cut some out and I will mention why below in the updated post.


So, if you haven't caught on in my beautyboxfive page or on my last post (I believe I mentioned it...hmmm), I am going on vacation with my family this Sunday! So, I figured I would go ahead and share my 'essentials.' Now, I use the term essentials lightly because I do not have a routine or set products that I use in my daily life. I probably should, because I have a lot of texture, but I don't. So, this post will encompass the beauty items I plan on taking as well as some face/skin/hair/lip care products. Most of them are samples from beauty boxes that I finally plan to get some use out of. It's always nice to finally get to use some of these products, so let's jump on in!

I've separated these pictures by area. So, I tried to keep the eye/lips/face/hair grouped together for ease of explaining and showing. First up, we have eyes!



From Left to Right:
  • L'oreal | Voluminous Butterfly Mascara in Blackest Black (Waterproof)
  • Sonia Kashuk | travel brush kit
  • Flower by Drew Barrymore | Cream eyeshadow in Mum's the Word
  • Flower by Drew Barrymore | Cream eyeshadow in Wild Geranium
  • Flower by Drew Barrymore | Cream eyeshadow in Lilac You A Lot
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo  | Cream eyeshadow in Tenacious Teal
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal | Cream eyeshadow in Barely Branded
  • Maybelline Color Tattoo Metal | Cream eyeshadow in Inked In Pink
  • Urban Decay | Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Original
  • Pixi | Eye Bright Liner
  • Tweezers
  • L'oreal | Silkissime Eye Highlighter

So, if you couldn't tell already, I am planning for long wearing, neutral make up. I am very minimal so I do not use under eye concealers or the like. I use tinted moisturizers or tinted suntan lotion to apply to my face to act as concealer. I have chosen to only bring my color tattoo eyeshadows because they're designed for long wear. I didn't want to deal with the running that the flower cream eyeshadows tend to do since they're so soft. As such, I don't need to take my primer potion since I am not taking the flower eye shadows anymore. I have my primer potion to help the cream eyeshadows stay since those tend to crease a lot. However, they will last all day which is why I chose them. They are all in neutral colors, save for the Tenacious Teal. I'm bringing that for the day I feel like adding a hot pop of color to my eyes. However, what I lack in color in the eye area I make up for in the lips!


From Left to Right:
  • Lansinoh | HPA Lanolin
  • Revlon | Colorstay Ultimate Liquid Lipstick in Ultimate Orchid
  • Nyx | Butter Gloss in Crème Brulee
  • Nyx | Butter Gloss in Cherry Pie
  • Nyx | Butter Gloss in Sugar Cookie
  • Pixi | Shea Butter Lip Balm in Pixi Pink
  • Benefit | benetint in Rose
  • Julep | SPF 15 Daylight Defense Chap Stick
  • Air Reapir | Rescue Balm
  • *New* Nyx | Butter Gloss in Apple Strudel (not pictured - view Ipsy June 2014)

Now, don't get too crazy over the Lanolin. I am quite aware it is usually used for nursing moms, having to have used it myself when my son was born. However, I ran across a neat trick using this stuff from a beauty blogger. I cannot remember who it was at this time; however, if you apply this to your lips at night, when you wake up in the morning your lips will be very, very moisturized. You'll be able to take a warm washcloth and wipe away the excess product plus any dry skin that was on your lips. It's like an overnight moisturizing/scrub for your lips. It works miracles when I want my lips to look soft and smooth the next day! The smallest bit goes the longest way, so the $10 you spend on this will last you forever. 

However, as you can see I have quite a bit more colorful options! I stuck with glosses that could be reapplied easily and wiped away without leaving patchy coloring. The Revlon liquid lipstick dries to a matte finish and lasts an amazingly long time through eating and drinking so I knew I would be able to use this on a day when we are at a museum. I can just apply some lip balm over it to soften it once we are done eating or drinking since reapplying the lipstick leaves the lips looking caked. Not cute, trust me; been there, done that lol. I am taking the benetint for days where we are outside in the sun. This would give my lips a nice rosy glow and allow me to just keep applying chap stick to keep them looking soft and supple.

Speaking of soft and supple, I am also taking a slew of face products to help me keep my skin safe this year. I had a horrible habit of letting my face tan so much that it would become leathery. Worst thing in the world is trying to rub leathery skin off. It makes me squirm thinking about how rough I was with my skin. So, to help counter that, I am taking more precautions this year.


 From Left to Right:

  • Juice Beauty | Hydrating Mist
  • L'oreal | Ideal Moisture Day Lotion SPF 25
  • épicé | Purifying Exfoliant
  • Josie Maran | Argan Oil
  • Pur-lisse | Pur-moist Hydra-balance moisturizer
  • Coola | Mineral Sunscreen Matte Tint Natural BB Cream SPF 30 x 2
  • Cotz Fact | Tinted Natural Skin Tone SPF 40

I thought back in the day that I had really oily skin. Through trial and error and by being observant of the products I was using, I realized I actually had dry skin. I was drying my skin out so much that I would over produce oil, thereby becoming oily. So, through the past year I have learned what I need to use in order to control my face oil. In the winter, I use a creamy face wash and in the summer, a gel one. I know this seems counterproductive to the dry stuff, but it's what works for me. I may be more combination since the gel helps in the summer but I haven't been to anyone to have it verified. I am just trying to self educate myself. SO, these little bad boys are my face SPF options for vacation. The tinted BB cream and face SPF will be used when we are planning on doing indoor activities. I don't need brown melted face. I will use the L'oreal SPF when we are outdoors. The Pur-lisse moisturizer will be used at night after my face wash routine to help rehydrate my face after being in the heat all day. I have the Argan Oil just in case I need some deep moisture. I have used it before and it does feel really good as a moisturizer. It might be a night-time only thing, but it still works very well.

And the heat doesn't affect only your skin; your hair can take a beating as well.


From Left to Right:
  • Not Your Mothers | Beat the Head Thermal Shield Spray
  • Balanced Guru | No Frizz Oil
  • Briogeo | Don't Despair, Repair Deep Conditioning Hair Mask
  • *New* Marc Anthony | Dream Waves Beach Spray (not pictured - view Ipsy June 2014)

Not too many on the hair front, but I don't do much on the hair front so this will be quick. I read from a beauty blogger (once again lol) that thermal hair spray works not only when using heating tools, but also when you're in the sun! I figured it was worth a shot and since your hair can dry out considerably in the sun, I wanted to give it a go. The Marc Anthony spray is not only a texture creator but also a UVA protectant. This will function as a 2-in-1 for my hair needs. The no frizz oil is self explanatory. I am usually a morning shower taker; however, I am going to try to take them at night while on vacation. I hate having wet hair outside in the heat. When it dries it just seems to frizz. So, if i wake up with dry, frizzy hair I can at least counter it with some hair oil. The deep conditioning mask will be used at least once a week while there. It will be needed lol.

And an honorable mention:


  • Swisspers | Cotton Applicators

I got these for touch ups when I do my make up. If I get mascara somewhere I don't want it i'll need a way to clean it up. That's all these are there for :)


Well, this was part 1 of my 'essentials!' As you can see, I have quite a bit going on. However, most of it does fit into some particular area. I did have all of this packed up into one bag but I will probably move my more makeup items into its own bag for easy of access. I will do another two posts before I go. One will be on what I plan on doing for my nails while away and the other will be my travel body bag. That will be my face wash(es), shampoo, conditioner, etc. So, stay tuned! Once I get stuff figured out and packed up I will post it!

Until Next Time,
Rebecca







No comments:

Post a Comment